Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Kleps and Jarik Suck at Arena

So, I was sitting around this weekend when Kleps throws me an IM asking, of all things, if I wanted to do arenas. Once upon a time, back in season 5 or so, we had formed a 2v2 team of Arms and Prot-healing called whatislovebabydonthurtme, and had sucked our way through a bit of arena, but we hadn't touched it in six months or so, so I thought, "what the hell" and said yes.

Initially, I thought that a Holy-Ret team would be more successful than an Arms-Ret team, so I went in as healer with a grand total of about 250 resilience and a PvE holy spec, and we proceeded to get facerolled. After 5 games, we were 1-4, including a game we really should have won, but I was terrible and died right as their prot pally healer went OOM. We encounted the same double rogue team twice in there, both times enjoying a front row seat to "dying without being able to move." When a pair of rogues can kill you while keeping *both* teammates CC'd, then their crowd control probably needs sharper diminishing returns. I concluded that Arms-Ret couldn't be any worse than this, since Jarik has actualy pvp gear and a pvp spec, so I switched over.

We did marginally better, I think we were 2-3 for the second half of the night. Including a victory over those damn rogues. They did their thing, trying to blast the crap out of me while kleps was blinded, but the "group up and burst them down" plan runs into a major snag when I trinket and pop bladestorm before they can stun again. They still killed me, but I knocked them down to 50% each. With all their cooldowns blown, kleps was able to finish them off. Of course, we ran into them a fourth time and died, at which point we said screw it and stopped, but it was still nice knocking them down a notch, even if it was only once.

Maybe it's just a product of 2v2, and our complete lack of PvP gear, but it really wasn't as fun as it was back in season 5 and BC. There was either a rediculous amount of burst that I couldn't keep up with as a healer, or we were just locked in place until we died. I guess it's fun if you're the locker, but when the only defense against a strategy is "have enough gear so that you survive the initial burst," it really just raises the question of, "why did we even try?" Rogues in particular get brought up in this, because their pvp mechanics are entirely based around being cheap and locking you up. And they need this, because rogues who get caught in the open die. But rogues who make it to you undetected and unleash everything can't be stopped. There's no middle ground, and the middle ground is where it's fun.

But then again, maybe it's just because we suck

No comments:

Post a Comment